Monday, April 28, 2008

A Michigan Mitten Geography Primer



Take a look at a map of North America, then look to the border of the U.S. and Canada. Can you see the distinctive mitten shape surrounded by water? That's Michigan's lower peninsula! I think Michigan's mitten rivals even Italy's boot! It is perhaps more fitting because without a good pair of mittens, you can't survive the winter here.

When I moved to Michigan, I wasn't aware of the land Michigan claimed which is sandwiched in between Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, the upper peninsula, affectionately called da U.P. The lesser-known upper peninsula can be seen as a hand as well, and in the last few years I learned that people use their hands to show where they live not only in the lower, but also in the upper peninsula.

Each of Michigan's two peninsulas jut out into the Great Lakes, which is why the state is known as "The Great Lakes State." Four of the five Great Lakes surround the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan (Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and Lake Erie). How lucky we are!!

We are transplants to Michigan, so I didn't grow up pointing at a location on my hand to show where I live. But, it is one of the most endearing Michigan oddities that I can think of. When my husband first came to Michigan, he asked a room of people where Lansing was in Michigan. Thirty hands raised in unison, and did the following:


If you ask me where I live, I would now hold up my hand, palm facing out, point to the center of my palm, smile and say, "I live in Lansing."

No comments: